Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Belfast at Last!

This morning we said "Hywl" to Wrexham and hoped for a smooth flight from Liverpool to Belfast. As we looked back at Wrexham, perhaps for the last time, we spotted a rainbow and hoped that meant good things.
Worth more than gold, clear weather and a charismatic guide met us at our arrival gate in Belfast. Maynard Hannah, a former police officer and perpetual jokester, helped us load our things onto a bus. Shortly after, we arrived at our youth hostel. Although it is considerably dressed down compared to our previous accommodation,we have our own bathrooms and a healthy amount of security. We are also situated nearby interesting eateries and clubs; it's easily assumed that the pros outweigh the cons. Thus far, the people also seem as equally dressed down. Rather than high fashion boots, leggings, and the coats in Liverpool, Belfast seems to cater more to the punk crowd. Then again, I've only been here a few hours.
The Ulster-Scots Agency which employs Hannah, hosted a nice pizza dinner and filled us in on our upcoming itinerary. After the session, we headed back to the hostel for some r&r; we'll need it for the days to come.

2 comments:

Jane Redmond said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Great info on your Belfast arrival. I see "punk" and "security" ... are these related?

elizabeth newman said...

Oh ha, in my sleepy stupor I meant that the security in our hostel is very nice. The punk was a comment on the clothing style, but the people seem friendly here--I don't think anyone feels unsafe, especially since we travel in groups. I suppose I should make myself clearer, did Caroline tell you we only had about 20 minutes to type these last blogs up? I suppose that explains it :)