Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mixed Feelings

Getting closer to our trip to Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland, I have found that I am no exception to a common phenomenon among travelers: mixed feelings during the couple of weeks before departure.

On the one hand, I am extremely excited to finally see some of the Celtic lands. I have been interested in Celtic culture since childhood and will now experience firsthand the people, scenery and culture of the region. Even though three weeks is a short time to visit any location, I hope and expect to gain knowledge and insight that I could not have gained by staying at home. Travel is an eye-opener and a mind-opener, and having remained in the United States since one high school trip abroad, I am ready to venture out again.

All of this excitement, though, remains tempered by what I will call nervousness, for lack of a better word. I have packed my passport, cash and long underwear; but I'm afraid of losing my luggage or forgetting something important. I have spent much of my break with family, friends and pets; but I know it will be hard to leave them. I feel prepared to meet new people and learn new things; but I am afraid of being culturally unprepared, perhaps offending someone or even getting pick-pocketed.

With such a new experience, I guess these feelings are natural. In fact, they even seem to thrive off of one another. From where, indeed, does excitement come if not a degree of uncertainty and danger? Having reflected and gained this realization, I feel a little more prepared to travel and meet with both enjoyment and challenge. These two things, at least, I am certain to find.

1 comment:

Jeraldo de Pueblo said...

Definitely a delightful experience that you are having... enjoy it... :)
Students at Missouri Western State University took an on-line course from Glyndwr University for three or four years. Long story. Delightful experience for them, especially when their professor came to St. Joseph, Missouri to see them. Dr. Clive Buckley

Note that when referring to the people who live east of Wales the appropriate designation is english or with a small e. :) If you learned the history of Wales, you understand why... Wales was and has been the first colony of the english... the Welsh people are to be commended for maintaining their culture and language for 1000 years of domination.

See
http://academic.missouriwestern.edu/ascher/walesSP/walesSP.htm

http://staff.missouriwestern.edu/users/ascher/mwscwaleslinks.html ... some of the links on this page are dead.

Cheers jerrystjo2000@gmail.com